The Cass County Conservation District is the designated County Enforcing Agency (CEA) for enforcement of the State of Michigan Part 91 rules regarding Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control.
A land owner or developer who contracts for, allows or engages in an earth change in Cass County, MI shall obtain a permit from the Soil Erosion Control Agency prior to commencement of an earth change which disturbs one or more acres of land or if the earth change is within 500 feet of a lake or stream of this County.
Permit requirements include completed application form, completed soil erosion and sedimentation control plan that meets the listed requirements, completed scheduling/site sequence table form, and payment of the permit fees and if necessary a compliance bond or letter of irrevocable credit.
SESC Permits must be posted at project sites. What’s on the back of the permit? Click here for General Conditions
- MNSP: https://www.mishorelinepartnership.org/
- Wisconsin Erosion Worksheet: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Waterways/factsheets/Erosion_Intensity_Worksheet.pdf
- Wisconsin Energy Calculator https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Waterways/shoreline/erosioncalculator.html
- EGLE Minor Project Categories: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/egle/WRD-Minor-Project-Categories_733320_7.pdf
- Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council: https://www.watershedcouncil.org/
- Shoreline Woody Structure: https://p.widencdn.net/jcv7ac/Outreach_FishSticksBestPractices
- EGLE Shoreline Protection: https://www.michigan.gov/egle/0,9429,7-135-3313-164820–,00.html
- Plants for Stormwater Design: https://www.pca.state.mn.us/water/plants-stormwater-design
- Wisconsin Native Shoreline Planting Guide: https://erc.cals.wisc.edu/healthylakesgrants/files/2021/10/NativePlantCompanionGuide.pdf
- MNLA: https://www.mnla.org/splash/
- Shoreland Stewards: https://www.mishorelandstewards.org/default.asp
- Inland Lakes Convention https://www.canr.msu.edu/michiganlakes/convention/
- MLSA: https://mymlsa.org/
- MGLP: http://midwestglaciallakes.org/resources/shorelineliving/
- MiWaters: https://miwaters.deq.state.mi.us/miwaters/external/home
- EGLE Joint Permit Application website: https://www.michigan.gov/egle/0,9429,7-135-3313_71520_24403—,00.html
- EGLE Inland Lakes and Streams Program: https://www.michigan.gov/egle/0,9429,7-135-3313_3681_28734—,00.html
- EGLE Land/Water Interface District Permitting Staff: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/wrd-permit-staff_402908_7.pdf
For in-depth details about erosion control measures and SESC specifications please visit the Michigan Association of County Drain Commissioners page’s SESC Manual.
For more information or to be mailed the permit application packet please contact Korie Blyveis at 269-445-8641 x 5.